Farmers have always faced the hardest of times due to the fact that their income depends on several unreliant factors. These factors contribute a certain level of uncertainty to the influx of cash, which makes it really hard for them to meet their basic needs, as they are unaware if they would be able to meet those needs in the near future.
To allow some sense of certainty to farmers wherein they can escape bouts of uncertainty and meet their needs, the Government of India initiated the Pradhan Mantri Credit Card scheme which would be implemented by the NABARD (The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development) in collaboration with the RBI (Reserve Bank of India).
About the PM Kisan Credit card
Under this scheme, the government of India will offer loans to farmers with the lowest interest rates, which will help millions of farmers all over the country.
How to apply for the PM Kisan credit card?
- The applicant would first have to visit the official website of the respective bank that they intend to avail the loan from like SBI/Axis Bank/ PNB/ Indian Overseas Bank/ Bank of India/ HDFC or any other bank for that matter.
- On this homepage, there will be an option that reads “KCC Online apply”
- The applicant would have to click on this option.
- On the KCC page that loads, the applicant would have to choose the Kisan Credit card under the drop-down menu.
- Once clicked, there will be an Apply option that needs to be clicked and there will be a form appearing on the page. The applicant is expected to fill out this form.
- Finally, on clicking submit button, the applicant will receive a reference number.
- The applicant is expected to save the reference number for future reference.
- Once the loan is sanctioned by concerned authorities, the Kisan Credit card will be dispatched to the applicant’s address.
Documents needed to apply for the scheme
In order to go through the entire process easier, it is advisable to have the following documents and their respective soft copies handy:
- Copy of a photo ID proof: Aadhaar card/ PAN card/ Voter ID card/ Driving licence/ Passport/ NREGA job card/ Letter issued by the UIDAI
- Copy of Address proof – these documents would serve as an appropriate address proof: Aadhaar Card/ Voter ID/ Driving license/ Utility bills/ Ration card/ Property registration document/ NREGA job card/ Bank account statement or passbook
- Mobile number
- Land documents
- 2 passport size photos
- Documents requested by the particular bank
Eligibility criteria for the Kisan Credit card
To benefit from the scheme, the following criteria must be met by the applicant:
- The farmer should be a permanent resident of India
- The farmer should have a cultivable land
- The individual should be involved in farming and agricultural activities
- The age of the applicant should be between 18 to 75 years
- For farmers above the age of 60, a co-applicant is a must
- Tenant farmers, oral leases, and shared croppers can apply for the Kisan credit card